Sunday, September 8, 2013

Dyeing Part 1: Ice Cube Dyeing with Kool-aid

So last summer when it was super super hot out in June, I dyed yarn with ice cubes.  These ice cubes were made up of concentrated Kool-aid.  I used a combination of the sun, to melt the ice cubes; my car, to heat up the yarn to help set the color; and the microwave, to make sure the color was completely set. 

Collage of my ice cube dyeing.

My mom knitted two of the skeins of yarn into  a bear, a cat, and some booties for Eli. 

The rest I wove on my Cricket Loom - my first woven scarf!

My first woven scarf!



Here's how I did it.


First attempt at dyeing with ice cubes.
Mixed each flavor of Kool-aid in 1/2 cup of water. Got four ice cubes out of each flavor. Used 1 1/2 packets for darker colors, 2+ packets for lighter colors (the lemonades).
Flavors used:
  • Pink Lemonade
  • Grape
  • Berry Blue
  • Ice Blue Raspberry Lemonade
  • Lemon-Lime
  • Lemonade
  • Piña-Pineapple
  • Mango
  • Orange
  • Strawberry
  • Black Cherry
Soaked yarn overnight - 50g skeins of Classic Alpaca color #100 White House
Attempted 2 skeins of each:
Confetti: ice cubes randomly placed on yarn
Rainbow: ice cubes placed in rainbow order on yarn
Covered with plastic wrap and put outside in sun to melt. After ice cubes completely melted, took off plastic wrap and covered in aluminum foil, then placed in the car windows to heat up in the sun.
Temp of yarn got to around 140 degrees inside the car, so after brought in to the house, took off aluminum foil and recovered with plastic wrap. Zapped it in the microwave for 2 minutes, rest for 2 minutes, zapped for 2 minutes, just to make sure yarn was heated up enough.


I hope to do more ice cube dyeing in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.